بِسْمِ اللَّـهِ الرَّحْمَـٰنِ الرَّحِيمِ
This is the continuation of the series, that focuses on implementing sunnah in our lives. In the last post, we talked about the manners of sleeping. In this post, we will look at the Sunnahs of sneezing and yawning:
Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Allah loves sneezing but dislikes yawning; so if anyone of you sneezes and then praises Allah, every Muslim who hears him (praising Allah) has to say Tashmit to him. But as regards yawning, it is from Satan, so if one of you yawns, he should try his best to stop it, for when anyone of you yawns, Satan laughs at him." [Bhukari: English reference: Vol. 8, Book 73, Hadith 245. Arabic reference : Book 78, Hadith 6298]
- Saying 'May Allah Have Mercy on You' to the person who sneezed. [Bhukari: 241]. This is to be done only after the sneezer praises Allah (i.e. says Alhumdullilah) [Bhukari: Vol. 8, Book 73, Hadith 241][Muslim Book 42, Hadith 7127]
- After the sneezer hears someone say "May Allah have mercy on you", it is sunnah for him to say "May Allah guide you and rectify your situation" or "May Allah have mercy on us and you, and may He forgive us and you" [Bhukari: Vol. 8, Book 73, Hadith 243] [Muwattaa Imam Malik: Book 54, Hadith 5]
- One should try to keep the sound of his sneeze as low as possible "Whenever the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) sneezed, he would cover his mouth with his hand or a piece of cloth, suppressing the sound this way. [Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi]"
- One should say "May Allah have mercy on you" for three sneezes. If the other person sneezes more than that, then he has a cold. [Muwatta Imam Malik: Book 54, Hadith 4]
Manners of Yawning:
- One should try to suppress yawn [Muslim: Book 42, Hadith 7129] [Bhukari: Vol 4, Book 54, Hadith 509]
- Its better to cover mouth with hand (http://sunnah.com/urn/271320)
Tip of the Week:
"You see, in life, lots of people know what to do, but few people actually do what they know. Knowing is not enough! You must take action.” Anthony Robbins. All of us probably know many of these manners of sneezing and yawning but the problem is that we don't practice what we know. Make it your goal that for the next seven days, you will practice what you learnt in this post!
- Share this post on social networks.
- Review the old posts in the series
Previous Post in this Series: